Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Paris Hilton Sex Video(s)

As I begin my descent deeper into the blogger world, I have discovered that it is apparently de rigeur to do at least one post with Paris Hilton in the title ... and preferably one that also mentions sex tapes, sex video or such. Since this site isn’t likely to hit the top of Google in the near future I’m not really sure that it applies ... but in keeping with the rapidly evolving tradition of such things, I thought I should do my part.

Actually, I don’t have a lot to say on the subject ... unlike almost anything else you could think of :-) I never, uh ... gee dare I admit this? ... never saw the infamous sex tape. Or any of the more recent sequels that seem to be popping out like Janet Jackson’s breast. (I’m doing my "de rigeur blogger bit" here and working in a really stretched reference to JANET JACKSON’S BREAST also, so that I can get this all out of the way at once.)

Nor did I watch Paris Hilton on her tv series either. Nor do I have any connection with her or with anyone who knows her whatsoever. Well ... once when I was in France I did see the Paris Hilton ... but it was just a building.

So why all the excitement? Why does the world care so about watching someone rich, beautiful and famous having sex with miscellaneous people and objects? Is it admiration? Nah. Envy? Possibly. Pure voyeurism? Most likely. But that still begs the question of why people would rather watch her than, say, a trained professional x-rated actress who could probably provide a much higher quality product.

Maybe we just like to see our celebrities tarnish. See, for example my earlier post on Martha Stewart. Will we all get a thrill when Paris gets busted for drugs and does the obligatory rehab?

I guess that is the real question here. What does the popularity of naked tapes of Paris Hilton tell us about ourselves?

1 comment:

Rodger A. Payne said...

I've never seen the videos either, and wasn't watching the Super Bowl halftime show at the right moment.

Maybe these events never happened?